2016-2017: II Semestre: Issues of research methodology in social sciences
Scuola di Dottorato in Filosofia e Scienze Umane
Issues of research methodology in social sciences
(Area: social sciences and anthropology)
Coordinator: prof. Marcello Massimini (University of Milan)
Instructor: prof. Giampietro Gobo (University of Milan)
To contact the instructor:
Office hours: see http://ggoboRS.ariel.ctu.unimi.it
Office location: Cortile Ghiacciaia (2nd floor)
The course aims to:
- offer an overview about the main social research methods
- present the key methodological problems in conducting an empirical research
- outline a research design and its steps
- critically discuss advantages and disadvantages of each research methods
Course prerequisites (if any): none
· The language of social research
Course requirements and assessment
Silverman David (2013),Doing Qualitative Research. A Practical Handbook, London: Sage FOURTH EDITION.
Suggested readings about specific research methods:
Gobo G. and Mauceri S. (2014), Constructing Survey Data. An interactional approach, London: Sage.
Claudia Puchta, Jonathan Potter (2004), Focus Group Practice, London: Sage.
Brinkmann, Svend and Kvale, Steinar (2015),InterViews. Learning the Craft of Qualitative Research Interviewing, London: Sage, Third Edition.
Gobo, G. and Molle, Andrea (2017) Doing Ethnography, London: Sage, second edition.