2016-2017: Corso on line sui Focus group
Scuola di Dottorato in Filosofia e Scienze Umane
(Area: social sciences and anthropology)
Coordinator: prof. Marcello Massimini (University of Milan)
Instructor: prof. Giampietro Gobo (University of Milan)
To contact the instructor:
Office hours: see http://ggoboRS.ariel.ctu.unimi.it
Office location: Cortile Ghiacciaia (2nd floor)
Type of course: online
The course is based on 4 video-taped lectures and some reading materials, the following Ariel page: http://ggobors.ariel.ctu.unimi.it/v3/home/PreviewArea.aspx and click on “Accedi ai corsi”, on the top left of the screen.
To get the access to the online course, you need to authenticate yourself.
If you do not have the authentication, please send a request to dr. Antonella Cosetti email@example.com
The course aims to:
- to overview the main features of focus groups
- to outline the main research steps
- to show video materials about real focus groups
- to critically discuss advantages and disadvantages of this method
Course prerequisites (if any): none
1. The focus group:
2. Natural, temporary and artificial groups
3. The research design
5. Entering the field
6. Managing the debate
7. Video of real focus groups
8. Organization and analysis of materials
9. Advantages and disadvantages of focus group
Course requirements and assessment
Who likes to follow this online course, then (in order to certify the attendance) s/he will take an oral examination with the instructor, discussing the contents of the course and the reading materials. Please contact the instructor directly, in order to select the preferred reading materials.
Michael Bloor, Jane Frankland, Michelle Thomas, Kate Robson (2001), Focus Groups in Social Research, London: Sage.
- Claudia Puchta, Jonathan Potter (2004), Focus Group Practice, London: Sage.
- Articles in the web-site.